The student news site of Farmington High School

The Stinger

Sit With Us app discourages lonely lunches

Kelly Monclova, Staff writer

Key Club and FHS Helpers are promoting the “Sit With Us” app to help students at Farmington High School find friendly people to sit with during lunch.

There are flyers around campus and written announcements to spread the word about what it is and how it works. Any student can download the app for free in their app store.

“I am super excited about the Sit With Us app,” Erin Gockel, teacher and head of Key Club and FHS Helpers at Farmington High School, stated. “The cafeteria can be one of the loneliest places in a school and maybe this will offer just a bit of help for those who need it.”

When students download the app, they put in when they are present at lunch. This is known as “open lunch”. Then, students who are looking for a place to sit can see that there is an “open lunch” available and can know that they have a place to sit with friendly people.

“I moved a lot as a kid, and remember that horrifying feeling of having nobody to sit with,” Gockel shared about her experiences with school lunches. “This app can help in those kind of situations.”

“I think the app is a great and very thoughtful idea,” Judy Martinez, a sophomore at Farmington High stated. “There are several students you see who sit alone at lunch, and I think having the app and knowing where they can sit will make them feel more welcomed to sit with one another.”