Dealing With Stress

Gabby Ruelas, Staff Writer

High school is a pretty stressful time in your life. Having to deal with passing classes, finding yourself, and figuring out what you are going to be doing in the next few years is a lot on your plate. Though a little stress is okay, too much stress can have a bad impact on your health. Here are a few ways to help you reduce stress.

Indulge in physical activity. It not only has a huge benefit on your health with things such as fighting off diseases and improving your physical condition, but also on eliminating stress. Stress can obviously be harmful to the mind and body. Any time you might feel even just a tad bit overwhelmed, go for a walk or even just do a little stretching. Breaking a little sweat pumps endorphins and will reduce your stress. Any form of exercise can be a good type of stress reliever.

Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. It’s not that all teens are alcoholic, smoke addict, caffeine lovers, but if you are cutting back, it will make an influence on your stress as well as a positive one on your health. Not only will using these things have a negative effect on your health but drinking caffeinated drinks all day long can cause your stress to elevate. Some studies show that alcohol is a way that people try and cope with life but in reality all it does is stress you out even more.

Manage your time. Managing your time can have a huge positive impact on trying to deal with your stress. Time management will help you organize your different activities in specific times. This will help you feel more organized and less like you are running around everywhere trying to get things done. Taking a little time out of your day to organize your schedule will make you feel more prepared and willing to get things done. Time management might just help you live a stress free lifestyle.

Sleep! Yes, this might be the hardest way to reduce your stress, but getting more sleep will make you feel more energized and ready to take on the day. Getting at least eight hours of sleep and this will help you reduce a little stress. You will keep yourself on track since you won’t be so tired and get stuff done. Feeling more energized will make you feel like you can get more accomplished; therefore, feeling less stressed.

In doing these steps, you will start to find yourself less stressed. Taking out some time to do so will give you some time to reflect and learn to relax. Frederick Saunders once said “Brain cells create ideas. Stress kills brain cells. Stress is not a good idea.” So listen to Fred.